8.23.26 Volo Bog (insects), Ingleside, IL

  All Volo Bog posts page.



Sycamore Tussock caterpillar descending from a silk line

It's so cool that some caterpillars will descend from a tree by a single thread of silk

Wheeeee!!!!!!!

Zabulon Skipper butterfly male

I have claimed this finger as my own

Wild Indigo Duskywing butterfly

Zabulon Skipper female


Male Zabulon Skipper behind a female, likely courting

I didn't know Zabulon Skipper females were so much bigger and darker than the males

Statiomys obesa, a wasp-mimicking fly, and Luperaltica nigripalis beetles

Cool looking fly. Very wasp-like

Goldenrod Soldier Beetle

Goldenrod Soldier Beetle and Luperaltica nigripalpis

That beetle is completely face-planted

Eastern Carpenter Bee

Eastern Carpenter Bee and a White-banded Crab Spider. Spider, I know you specialize in eating pollinators, but I think that bees's so big it could eat you

Goldenrod Soldier Beetles going to town on a Joe-pye Weed flower. There is also a Common Eastern Bumble Bee

Forage Looper Moth

Herald Dart moth. 

Unidentified Pond Spreadwing damselfly. I have never seen Spreadwings before, and they are so big compared to the forktail and bluet damselflies I normally see.

Slender Spreadwing

Punctured Tiger Beetle

Milkweed Tussock Moth caterpillar

Dogwood Sawfly (Macremphytus tarsatus) larvae. Despite looking and behaving like caterpillars, they are sawflies, the ancestors of wasps.

So cool!

Carolina Grasshopper

Banded Tussock Moth crawling on a Wild Bergamot leaf. The caterpillars eat tree leaves

Unidentified Bumble Bee

Unidentified ichneumon wasp

Large milkweed Bug

Eastern Pondhawk dragonfly

Lots of Large Milkweed Bug Nymphs

Bug on my dad's finger

Large Lace-border Moth

Japanese Beetle

Pearl Crescent


Comments