10.4.26 Albuquerque, NM

   From 9.29.26-10.5.26 my father, sister and I drove from Chicago, IL to Las Vegas, NM and back. This is part of Day 6.

See all of the New Mexico trip posts at New Mexico 2026.


 Dog Vomit Slime Mold (Fuligo septica). This decomposing amoeba is made of a single cell and increases soil fertility. It is not a fungus, but is very similar.

Rock Pigeons on a statue

Texas Blue Prickly Pear cactus. The red and green buds are ripe and unripe fruit, respectively

Tree Cholla cactus. The yellow things are fruit

Weird plant

Hot Air balloons, a Cooper's or Sharp-shinned Hawk, and mountains

Landscape

Unidentified Prickly Pears

Landscape

Blue-winged Teals (a species of duck). The color teal is named after the many duck species known as teals

White-breasted Nuthatch

This nuthatch was literally straight above me

Spotted Towhee (new species for my family and I)

Flying!

White-winged Doves (new species for my family and I)

Unidentified Snail

Look at those tentacles! (The eyes are situated on the end of tentacles)

Rio Grande Cottonwood

Rio Grande Cottonwood. The Rio Grande Cottonwood is a subspecies of the Eastern Cottonwood, which I see a lot back home in Chicago. However, the Rio Grande Cottonwood is not the subspecies native and common in Chicago.

House Finch with a seed in its mouth

Exceptionally lumpy polypores on Rio Grande Cottonwood


Comments