Link to Love of Bugs photo archives
for Chicago Quarry HawkWatch.
 |
| Green Darner |
 |
| So cool!!! |
 |
| Detail. This species really likes to zoom around, so I can't believe this one stayed still so I could get good shots! Even cooler, its was pretty close! |
 |
| Band-winged Meadowhawk |
 |
| On a steel fence cord |
 |
| Such a beautiful insect. Also the most efficient predator on earth tied with, like, every other dragonfly species |
 |
| Black Swallowtail |
 |
| Wheeee!!!!! |
 |
| Monarch laying some eggs |
 |
| Monarch laying some more eggs |
 |
| Wild Indigo Duskywing laying eggs on some species of wild indigo |
 |
| Either a Black-and-gold or Golden Northern Bumble Bee drone |
 |
| I have named all of the bumbler drones at Palmisano Bob |
 |
| Common Eastern Bumble Bee |
 |
| Eastern Boxelder Bug on what is presumably a Boxelder Maple |
 |
| On a steel fence pole |
 |
| Great Black Digger Wasp. Despite sounding like giant wasps that lurk in the shadows and random holes to ambush hapless hikers, they are actually more like tiny xenomorphs that only care about katydids and crickets. What I meant by xenomorph is that they paralyze a bug, lay an egg on it, and toss it in a small, dark hole. They are completely chill about humans |
 |
| Ammophila nigricans, a species of Thread-waisted Sand Wasp |
 |
| Katydid and cricket's worst nightmare; a midnight chirp-hater's best friend |
 |
| American Sand Wasp. I have seen many American Sand Wasps. But aside from this weirdo, they have all been hanging out in sandy savannas on the shoreline, not a thick, rich-soiled prairie |
 |
| Metallic Harpalus |
 |
| Western Honey Bee |
 |
| Black Diabrotica. Being very small and eating pretty much any prairie plant, I see these lil' guys whenever I go to Palmisano. I wouldn't be surprised if there are millions of them in that park. Their population would've been unimaginably huge when the central third of the US was a giant prairie |
 |
| Band-winged Meadowhawk |
 |
| Ants tending to extrafloral nectaries of Partridge Pea. Plant produce extrafloral nectaries to attract ants, which predate on plant-eating bugs, like Black Diabroticas |
 |
| Large Milkweed Bug |
 |
| Pearl Crescent |
 |
| European Paper Wasp and a Common European Greenbottle Fly |
 |
| Greenbottle Fly on a Broadleaf Arrowhead flower |
 |
| Uh, well, Imma try and make this photo fun-ish by making it a can-you-spot-the-___. So, um, can you spot the fly that's keeled over dead. ...I guess that's actually not fun at all |
These are beauties! Nice 💩
ReplyDelete